Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sunday at Tshirenzheni



What a fun day we've had!  Last night before bed Rosie asked me if I would stay up late and finish a shawl that I was working on for her.  I said sure, but I thought it was going to be too warm to wear it in the morning.  I checked the weather after tucking in the kids and realized that the opposite was true- it was going to be cold in the morning!  So, I stayed up late and finished her shawl so the three of us girls could have matching ones this morning.  

On this chilly morning we met with 
the congregation at Tshirenzheni (pronounced Chair-en-gen-ee) for bible class and worship.  The drive into Venda was just beautiful with clouds coming down on the mountains and no traffic.  And...oh, joy!  monkeys!!!  Not only did the kids finally get to see real live monkeys, but they got to see at least a dozen.  We passed a school yard that was, of course, empty on a Sunday morning and there were about a dozen vervet monkeys playing and running about!  We've decided to call it the monkey school.  Just a bit down the road were 5 or 6 other monkeys that I didn't recognize.  And then there were the goats and cows and chickens!  The kids so enjoyed the drive...and I did, too!  
  

The church building at Tshirenzheni is one of the most beautiful locations I've ever seen.  I don't know why, but something about it just appeals to me.  This is the view from the side of the building.


Tshirenzheni has a bible class for the children first thing, then an adult bible class (and the children all sit still and quiet for this), then 2 hours of worship (well, depending on how long the preacher speaks).  The kids really enjoyed the bible class.  It was taught in Venda, but the teacher also translated some into English and asked some of the questions in English for our children.  After bible class the boys got to have their first adventure with a "long drop" toilet.  Yes, it is what you think it is.  "But Mommy, where does it GO?!"  Down the hole, son, down the hole.  They thought it was great. 

It looks like James with be working with the congregation at Tshirenzheni for the next 6 months or so and I'm really looking forward to that.  I've already enjoyed getting to know some of the ladies and look forward to meeting everyone else.   




No comments:

Post a Comment